The Translator

Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. “Do you understand what you are reading?” Philip asked.
“How can I unless someone explains it to me?” So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. Acts 8:30-31


The other day a dear friend of mine gave me some recipe books. Not unusual, women do that right? Sure. Except for the books are in Spanish, a language that is completely foreign to me. The pictures are lovely and I’m sure I would like some of the foods and baked goods if I could read the recipe. Let me say here that Bella did not give me the books to frustrate me. There are decorating ideas that literally just need the pictures. They have words but the words aren’t necessary. This was a lovely gesture from a dear, sweet friend. She would, I am sure, translate every word if I asked her for help.

Looking at the books, thinking about them, made me think of how some people see the Bible. There are people who see God’s Word the same way I see those books. There may be some curiosity or even interest but there is no understanding. Some people are well able to read but still don’t comprehend but others who encounter God’s Word may see what I see when I look at the recipes. In other words they see something that should make sense but really doesn’t. Where literacy is the issue the answer is simple, read it to them or teach them to read. What do we do when spiritual blindness or a hard heart are the problems?

I believe that we do as St. Francis suggested, “preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.”

Suppose I decide to attempt to make a dish from my Spanish recipe books. I can rely on my extremely limited knowledge of Spanish and guess, or I can ask Bella for help. I can ask her because she speaks the language but also because she is a dear, lovely friend. She is a person I trust, who is immensely approachable. I ask her opinion and advice on a lot of topics. I would not have any hesitation to ask her for help.
As Christians it is our duty, our purpose, to be that approachable. We need to be open and inviting where our faith is concerned. Our attitudes need to encourage those who may look at the Bible and see a foreign language, to ask us anything. If we have the ability to read the Word and learn from it, we also have the responsibility to share it with those who are not yet able to see.
I am grateful to Bella for the books but even more grateful for the deeper lesson I learned from receiving them. It is a gentle reminder to me that not everyone has spiritual sight and for those who are seeking it, I may just need to be the translator.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight