Decision Makers

Also put the Urim and the Thummim in the breastpiece so they may be over Aaron’s heart whenever he enters the presence of the Lord. Thus Aaron will always bear the means of making decisions for the Israelites over his heart before the Lord. Exodus 28:30

Do you know what the Urim and Thummim are? I didn’t until I looked it up the first time I read this verse. The what? These aren’t words that suggest any meaning I’ve ever known. So, I checked them out. Immediately I wanted a set of my own. Now years later reading this same passage in Exodus I don’t feel any different. I want a set of my own!

In case you haven’t had the opportunity to check out these ultra-important items I’ll tell you about them. The Urim and Thummim (say that five times fast!) were devices used by a priest, in this case Aaron, to determine God’s will. The best information is that they were much like lots or stones cast to discern God’s yes or no answer. Where can you buy those? Where’s the infomercial on those little darlings? Come on! I would pay three payments of whatever the cost and not expect a second set or even free shipping.

In all seriousness this is where I get a little impatient with our friends the Israelites. We pray and we listen for the guidance of the Spirit of God. Sometimes that is loud and clear. Other times it as clear as mud. We seek advice from our prayer partners. If they don’t all see it the same way, I’m inclined to go with the opinion that matches mine. It might be better to consider the opposing opinion but that’s usually the harder road. Oh for a Urim and Thummim or even just one of them!

One of the hardest things for me is to be sure that I have heard God’s directive correctly. I know what the Commandments say and I can consult Scripture but again, like the advice of my prayer partners I can pick and choose with God’s Word too. I’ve had those times, when like it or not, I knew because I knew because I knew exactly what God wanted from me. Even when I hate what I have to do, I love doing it because I know it is from Him. Unfortunately, it isn’t always so clear.

Right now I am grappling with two very difficult decisions. I am seeking God and Godly counsel. I am reading His Word, praying and trying to hear Him. But how much easier it would be to look to the old Urim and Thummim? Of course the nasty free will issue is always involved and like the Israelites before me I could still be disobedient. I just think it would be great to have a tool like that.

We don’t. What we have is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and the personal responsibility to be so close to Him that we cannot falter. I guess God’s still working on me in that area. I suppose He will be working on me in that listening/understanding/obeying area until He welcomes me home. I guess it’s better this way. I would rather seek God’s face, through His Word, through His people, through His Spirit than through a priest and a couple of gadgets. Still there are some days……

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows