Think About Such Things


 

But he was pierced for our transgression, he was crushed for our iniquities: the punishment that brought peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. Isaiah 53:5

Jesus is perfect. He was perfect even when he walked the streets of this imperfect world. He is/was perfect and also crushed and killed because of sin. Can you make that make sense?

          I bake. I love to bake! I especially love it when one of my grandchildren asks me for something specific. When their birthdays come around, actually weeks or even months before, I get the request.  Through the years and all the grandbabies, I’ve done cakes based on movies, animals, toys, pirates, books and whatever else they can imagine and ask. Sometimes along with the big cake I make cookies or cupcakes to match the theme. When I do there always seems to be one that just doesn’t look right (at least one) and that one, that photo worthy one that is just perfect. Perfect!

          Now I have things that look great but how do they taste? Bring in the always willing taste testers. Do I give them the one(s) that may not look so great or the one that is perfect? Silly question, right? I want that perfect one on display when party time comes.

          Read the verse above again. He, Jesus, was pierced and crushed. He was perfect. We are not perfect, except in His sight and that of His (our) Father. Jesus walked this earth and healed people, comforted people, brought light to the darkness and through it all did not commit a single sin.

          I can’t really speak for you, but I know that I have never healed anyone. (Don’t tell my grandchildren. They believe my kisses can heal their booboos.) While I have brought peace to certain situations and comfort to some people, I can guarantee that I have also caused angst and hurt innocent bystanders. I like to think that I can bring light into darkness but I’m not the Light. So, I ask this. Does it make sense that perfect Jesus was betrayed, pierced and crushed and I now get to live under His protection?

          If I need healing, comfort, provision or love, I ask my Father, in Jesus name. Why? Jesus paid the price for me. The perfect creation destroyed to protect the hot mess. How upside down is that?

          Philippians 4:8 says, Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -- think about such things.

          What is truer, more noble, better, purer, lovelier, more admirable or excellent or more worthy of praise than the knowledge that the perfect One suffered, died and was buried so that you, not so perfect, could receive grace, mercy and healing?  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows