Impossible


 

Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. For no word from God will ever fail.  Luke 1:36-37*

What seems like “old age” to you? Most likely it depends on how many birthdays you’ve enjoyed. How about this, how old is too old to be pregnant?  Add quite a few more years to that and you’re probably at Elizabeth’s age. For Elizabeth and Zechariah the baby train had long since left the station. Except for… it hadn’t! It’s one of those circumstances that I dearly love when two words, “but God” change the whole picture.

Elizabeth is entirely too old to have a baby, but God had other plans.  Zechariah was so shocked he questioned the angel and was mute from that moment until the birth of his son John. Elizabeth most likely was equally shocked but her thrill at being pregnant surpassed all else.

Just a bit later Elizabeth’s cousin Mary would hear the same news, “you’re having a baby!” What? Impossible.  Can you picture Mary? “Um, I’m so sorry. I don’t mean to be rude, begging your pardon and all. I can’t actually be pregnant.” Then she hears the explanation. Do you think for one second that changed her reaction? “Oh sure the Holy Spirit! God’s baby, oh yeah, okay.” No! The word that had to be in her head is the  Hebrew version for impossible, vying for attention with the Hebrew words for, “yeah, right.”

Impossible! I love the old Rodgers and Hammerstein version of Cinderella. I’ve shared it with my granddaughters who weren’t quite as thrilled with it. It is a little dated. For me, even now, all these years after the first time I saw it the song, “Impossible” is one of my favorites. I think it sums up perfectly a life lived with our God. “Impossible things are happening every day.”

 Indeed they are. We call them miracles and quite honestly I think we miss more of them than we acknowledge. Look around you today. Think about your prayers. What seems impossible? Maybe it is.  Or maybe it’s about to be But God time.

Impossible things are happening every day!**

I highly recommend reading all of Luke chapter 1. It will definitely increase your awareness of how impossible things can happen, if we give them to God.

In our family we have two, about to be three, children whose conception was said to be impossible. Those children are just three examples of the impossible things that our family has experienced as quite, miraculously possible. Impossible things are happening every day! Believe it, not just for other people, for you too. It’s easy to doubt but I promise you “with God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:26 Want to talk about it? Email me at ottosyankee@bellsouth.net

Comments

  1. I know God handles the impossible, I have two girls that I was told I would probably never have. He has brought me along this far, which I sometimes think would have been impossible. I’ve been reading a chapter of Luke every day leading up to Christ’s Birth! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows