Emergency


 

Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. Jeremiah 33:3

I am the Vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me, you can do nothing. John 15:5

 

Those are two of my favorite verses. Though neither one is my life verse, they pretty much sum up my faith. Call to Abba and remain in Jesus. If I seek God’s advice and understand that everything, every single thing that I have is a gift from God then life will be a much more manageable prospect.  I live my life every day by God’s grace and by His grace alone. That may sound like hyperbole but it isn’t. Certainly some things are bigger, some challenges, some tragedies, some victories and some joys, are much larger but regardless of size, everything I am or have is powered by God.

          Don’t believe me? Breathe. God. Look around. Can you see? God. Did you hear that? God. Do you have a job? A spouse? A friend? A home? God. God. God. God. Too much? No! Not nearly enough. All things are gifts from heaven. Don’t take my word for it, read James 1:17.

          That’s what I believe and it is how I live my life. Yesterday I had the sweetest reminder that not everyone lives that way. One of our special education students was admiring the cross I was wearing. It is a gold cross with a gemstone set in it. “What does that say?” he asked me. “It doesn’t say anything honey.” I replied. “Oh sure, it says, ‘For emergencies only.’ Right?” He said his sweet voice full of confidence.  What? I thought about those words and turned to my friend Kim, a very faithful believer. “Did you hear that?” I asked her and repeated what our little man had just said.

          Kim and I agreed that while we do not live that way and see the Cross as a symbol of a 24/7 support system and love that never fails, far too many people would agree with little man. “For emergencies only.” God is reserved for car accidents, divorce and the doctor’s office with maybe a financial crisis thrown in every now and then. In other words, emergency situations need a fixer, so try God.

          If you agree with our little friend, take a closer look. God is most certainly with us in our times of need or terror. He is also with us on sunny, gorgeous afternoons when our hearts are being touched by the precious innocence of a child. Looking at God in the good or ordinary times will make it much easier to feel His presence in those emergencies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight