Manageable Bites


 

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34

 

The students in my classroom are labeled as “Intellectually disabled.” That is true. All of them struggle in some areas, each one has different strengths and different limits. One thing that is often common in our learning community is the tendency to eat too quickly. It is not unusual to see a child take a “bite” that is actually half a hamburger or attempt to put an entire dinner roll in his mouth at once. Shoveling all things spoonable, potatoes, mac and cheese, fruit is pretty ordinary for some of my kiddos. Thus there has to be a constant reminder, “slow down, sweetie, take manageable bites.”

          That term, manageable bites, came to me this morning during my quiet time with the Lord. I was looking around my office, overwhelmed by the chaos that is my Christmas prep. Paper, tape, bags, cards, things wrapped and yet to be wrapped are all over my space. I had to unearth my chair to even begin to spend time with God. The state of my space threatened my serenity, my ability to focus on what Abba had to say this morning. I drew in a deep breath and told myself, “manageable bites.” I was in the time I set aside to be with my Savior. Wrapping, cooking, baking and the phone calls/texts to firm up plans would have to wait.  That is when God showed me, reminded me, that I am not the only one who is being tempted to take on too much at once. “Tell them.”

          So here I am to remind you that this is the day that the Lord has made! We should rejoice and be glad in it. (Psalm 118:24) Things will get done, or they won’t but more likely, most likely, they will if we remember what is important. Mary chose what was better and it was not taken from her. She chose to sit at Jesus’ feet and listen to Him, to drink in His peace and strength.  (Luke 10:42) Mary had her priorities straight. She remained calmly at the feet of her Savior and when He was finished I’m guessing she got everything done without stress.

          Follow Mary’s example. Live in this moment without angst about the moments to come. Take manageable bites and have a joy filled day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight