Mary, Martha, Us


 

Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:41-42

Most mornings I get up before my husband and/or anyone else who might be visiting us. It's intentional. When the house is quiet and there is no one who needs me for any reason I can spend time alone with God. Before you give me points for being “good” let me tell that while it is a part of discipleship it is also very much for me.

We read in Luke about Mary and Martha, two sisters with differing approaches to service. Martha is a feeder (so am I). Mary is an adorer (so am I). Both sisters love Jesus and are thrilled to have Him in their home. Martha takes her cue from every Italian and Greek mom I've ever met. She's going to feed the crowd. My guess is the “work” she's referring to is slaving over some huge meal so that she can offer Jesus and whoever else is there, “just a little something.” I love Martha! When you come to my house it is highly unlikely that you will leave without having “a little something.”

Mary is with Jesus! She's sitting there listening to every syllable of every word that He says. Is she worried about that feeding Him? No she is not. She's not worried at all. She's content, relaxed, in tune with the heart of her Savior. Clearly as it says, Mary chose the better end of the deal. I love Mary!

But, screams my human, influenced by every Italian and Greek mother I've ever met.... Who is going to feed the crowd? If I listen God will answer that question, “You are. Right after we talk.”

The other day due to circumstances way out of my control, I had to hit the ground running. The day was fine. There weren't any major disasters but I was off. Not terribly focused, a bit out of sorts, letting worry take over. I had to be Martha without one moment of Mary and it just wasn't the same.

The story of the two sisters is one that all of us should heed. If we will be Mary and sit with Jesus even for a few minutes, then we can be Martha and get the work done but without the Martha stress.

Jesus said that Mary chose what was better and that it couldn't be taken from her. Things, people, opportunities will be taken from us. Our health can be taken from us but if we put our faith in Jesus, that relationship can never be taken away.

Colossians 3:23 says, “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord, not for men.” If we take time to listen to Jesus, dedicate our day, hour, moment to Him then even if the day gets a little crazy, we have the comfort of our dearest Friend.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight