Blame


 

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities: the punishment that brought us peace was on him and
by his wounds we are healed. Isaiah 53:5 (emphasis mine)
In responding to a note from a friend I was reminded of my childhood. Once I got to an age where I could make decisions and plans of my own, I seemed to have my parents' trust. I would provide information about my plans and for the most part, they okayed them. Then my sister did something that really upset them and the hammer came down.

Bear in mind, the sin, if you will, was hers. She did it all by herself. I wasn't with her nor did I have any knowledge of what she was doing. To add insult to injury, when our parents confronted her she lied and that is the day that trust went out the window to be replaced by inquisition. Her lies led to my being cross-examined.

At that point my behavior, my choices and integrity no longer mattered. One horse had gotten out of the barn so they bolted the door on the next one. What was a quick, this is where I'm going and this is who is going with me conversation became endless questions. In response, I rebelled. Why oh why oh why was I paying for my sister's mistake? Short answer, my parents were living out of fear. Prior to her actions they had no thought that their daughters would behave that way. In light of new information rules had to be applied.

Whether or not that was right or fair is not the point. The point is this, I resented them and my sister because I was paying a penance for someone else. At the time all it brought up was anger. Later in life it would give me a glimpse, a teeny, tiny, infinitesimal glance at what Jesus did for all of us. In light of that I am no happier about what happened all those years ago. I am however so very, very, very grateful for grace; grace that forgives and forgives and forgives and never asks why. Why should perfect Jesus be crushed because I'm selfish or snide? Why should He endure my punishment because I resented enduring the blame for my sister? He shouldn't but He does. He does it because He is love, perfect love. Jesus took the blame for every nasty, thoughtless, heinous thing that will ever be done by anyone, anywhere and by those wounds we are healed and set free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows