Not Fair


 

I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.” Luke 15:7

The stories in Luke 15 of the lost sheep and the prodigal son beg for the whiny response, “that's not fair” because on the surface, from our worldly perspective, it's not fair.

Look closely. Ninety-nine sheep are sticking close to the shepherd and he leaves them to search for the one who wandered off. That one didn't get left behind, the shepherd didn't abandon him, he wandered off of his own volition. Willfully doing what he was taught not to do.

Then there's the prodigal son. This brat said, “Give me my money Abba, 'cuz I'm over you and this dreary farm. So, basically I'm wishing you were dead and I could do my own thing. See ya' later.” Like the sheep, this boy was not thrown out of his home, his very comfy home. No, he threw it all away in a fit of selfishness.

The shepherd searches for the sheep and when he finds him there is great rejoicing. The son comes to his senses, realizing that home was actually a pretty good place to be and he returns. There is once again, great rejoicing. Everybody's happy. Well, maybe not everybody.

Sheep can't talk so we have no record of any of the ninety-nine whining to the shepherd, “That's so unfair! We stayed right here. We were good sheep but you left us. Left us! A wolf could have come you know. Not fair sir! Not. Fair.”

We do however have the older brother of the brat child prodigal, who, to paraphrase, says, “I've been here with you side by side all this time while that little brat went off and did his own thing. Now you're happy that he's back. Not fair, Abba. Not fair and not cool.”

It's not fair! The ninety-nine did follow directions. The older son did stay and do the right thing. Good for them! But.... each and every one of us has been the malcontent sheep or son. We've wandered off distracted by greener grass or in pursuit of the shiny object over there, away from responsibility and commitment. When we're lost we want our Shepherd to search for us. When we come home, repentant, we want Abba's open arms to be waiting.

I hate, loathe and despise the expression “not fair.” I am so exceedingly grateful that God is “not fair.” Grace is certainly not about fairness or deserving. Grace flows down and covers me when I wander or willfully walk away and I count on that grace every day. In those moments I don't care if it's fair. I'm just so thankful to receive it.

Next time you're tempted to see something as not fair because you're one of the ninety-nine or you're the older brother, remember a day when you were the wanderer or the prodigal. I'm willing to bet the idea of fair or not fair will fade pretty fast.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows