Needs


 

I am the vine and you are the branches. If a man remain in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me, you can do nothing.” John 15:5

A few weeks ago I was at dinner with my husband, daughter and three granddaughters. It was a special dinner, so of course we had our phones out to take pictures. After leaving the restaurant we began to walk along, stopping to watch a street performer. As we did I reached for my phone to take a picture of my granddaughters and it wasn't where I usually put it. I mentioned that I thought I might have left it in the restaurant. I delivered that information with no fear or panic in my voice. Would it be a an inconvenience to walk back through the crowded, tourist filled area to the restaurant? A little. Was I in utter panic because I'd left my phone? No.

That last piece of information was too much for my daughter. “Mom! Why aren't you freaking out? It's your phone!” She said to me in a tone that suggested we'd left one of the girls behind. “What if you can't get it back?”

While my poor girl was freaking out for me, I looked through the rest of my bag and lo and behold, there was the phone. I laughed at my daughter's obvious relief. What was the worst that could happen if I didn't get the phone back? I was with my husband and daughter, both of whom have phones which meant I could easily contact my son if necessary. I would have been sad over lost pictures but beyond that a phone is replaceable.

Since then, I've thought of that event so many times. How many people would react as my daughter did? Most, I dare to think. We've all become super attached to our phones and tablets and pads. If I hadn't been with my husband my own reaction would have been stronger, not the total panic my daughter deemed necessary, but stronger.

That led me to think about what is truly important. If my life is stripped down to what I really need, what I really need is Jesus. In His infinite love and mercy He has provided a wonderful husband along with many other dear people, things I truly need, food, clothes, shelter, things I think I need, and things I simply want. Still, at the end of the day, all of those people and things are blessings only if I recognize the Giver of the Gifts. I am merely a branch on the beautiful Vine and apart from that Vine I have nothing and I am nothing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows