Salvation

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this; while we were still sinners Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

On Sunday I took part in a class on authentic faith. The object of the class is to make people comfortable with sharing their faith journey. There are various levels of comfort in sharing something that personal. This was my third time participating in this class and I've seen everything from total comfort, an eagerness to share, to the “okay but this is uncomfortable” all the way to the not there yet, maybe someday but not today response. The latter I understand completely while the former is maybe somewhere in my future, I sit in that midrange, mostly dependent on who is listening.

The group I was with on Sunday is easily my favorite so far. It was comprised of lovely, open, absolutely delightful people. One in particular is a young woman named Olivia. I met her shortly after I joined this church and immediately loved her. She is a beautiful girl, inside and out. She also has a great sense of humor.

While we were talking about the various questions people ask once they know you're a Christian, the “when were you saved?” question came up. Olivia said that she would like to tell people she was saved two thousandish years ago when Jesus came to the world for just that purpose. Great answer, right? Olivia's mom seemed to think people might not take it well, especially coming from such a young person.

In truth, Olivia did deliver the answer a bit tongue in cheek. We laughed and moved on with the class but her answer stayed with me. When were you saved? I can't definitively answer that question. I've been aware of God's presence in my life for all of my life. When did I fall in love with Jesus? Again, for me, that's a gradual process or as my husband says, “a long and winding road.” I know some people encounter Jesus in a huge and dramatic way and can say, “April 10, 1999” or whatever. I cannot and most of the people I know can't either.

I think the better question is, “when did you decide to live in response to Jesus' sacrifice?” We've done nothing, not one thing to become “saved.” We accept the gift, the very much free and beautiful gift of salvation but the act of salvation is not ours.

When were you saved? Olivia is right. We were all saved when Jesus Christ came and lived and died to save us, to take on all our junk and lead us home. If we are wise enough to accept that gift then we will share it, at some point in some way and always with God's help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight