Surprise


 

No one knows the day or the hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son
but only the Father.  Matthew 24:36

Years ago I was part of a Bible study where the words, “God's will is right, good and best” were repeated often. I believe that, for the most part and where I don't, because let's be honest, there's always an area of life where we would arrange our own chess pieces, thank you, I want to. I want to one hundred percent believe that God's will is always perfect and best. The other day, He illustrated that for me in a gentle and precious way through one of my very dear friends.

I am a background person, behind the curtain not in front, in the kitchen not the hostess, the one who throws the party, not the guest of honor. This is not a mystery to anyone who knows me. It's who I am. Knowing that one of my dear friends decided to surprise me.

My friend Bella invited me to lunch the other day. That wasn't unusual. We were on a break from school and my birthday was part of that break time. So I set off to meet her at one of our favorite places. It took me a bit to find parking but I managed to walk into the restaurant right on time. Bella was sitting right inside the door at a table by the window and she was not alone. Two of our other friends, Marilou and Michelle were sitting with her at a table that held several birthday gift bags. Surprise!

If Bella had asked me or told me that she was turning our lunch into a little party I would have been reluctant, the whole center of attention thing and all. I would have tried to talk her out of it, to insist that it just be the two of us. She didn't tell me because she knows me. Arriving to an accomplished fact, seeing my sweet friends smiling faces was a lovely surprise. We sat and talked and laughed. We ate cake. It was delightful. It was especially delightful because I didn't spend one minute feeling uncomfortable because they were planning it. I just showed up to enjoy a great time. Had I known in advance I would have found nine hundred reasons why it shouldn't happen and made myself nuts. What were the ladies putting aside to do this for me? Did they really have time or did they go along with Bella because she can be very persuasive and on and on.....

Too often I wonder and think I want to know what God has planned for me. I want to know what's coming next or at least I think I want to know. That takes us back to the chess board of life. If I had even a glimmer of what next week holds I'd be rearranging this week to fit. God in His infinite wisdom does not disclose next week or even the next hour to us because He knows us and He knows what is right and best for us. Sometimes the surprises are lovely, like my lunch and sometimes they are terrifying, like the call that tells you something is terribly wrong. In either case advance knowledge would not help. It would simply take our eyes, minds and hearts off of the now and put it on something that isn't here yet. Our anticipation would cause us to miss the blessings along the way.

Our Father asks us, encourages us, to live in the moment because He sees the big picture, because that big picture is in His hands. We would be wise to just relax in His loving embrace and know that even now, right this minute He is working all things for our good. (Romans 8:28)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows