Celebration


 

In the same way I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of angels over one sinner who repents. Luke 15:10

This verse is from the parable of the lost coin. It is sandwiched in between two other parables about loss, the lost sheep and the lost son. All three parables reference the rejoicing, the celebrating, when something lost is found. Celebrating.

It is December 22nd, and therefore, I've been concentrating on celebrations for a few days now. I've been baking, planning and wrapping. This morning the pile of wrapped gifts were a bit of a distraction to me in my quiet time. They are in my office right in front of my prayer chair and they easily cause my mind to wander.

I said to Abba, “I'll be happy when those are out of here and I'm not distracted by them.” Then I thought, oh, but then the celebration will be over. Quickly I realized that the real celebration, my relationship with my Savior will never be over. Thankfully, Abba was quick to correct me. That celebration, the one referenced over and over in Luke 15 and all through the Scripture hasn't even begun. Our paltry efforts to praise and worship, wonderful though they may be with our limited human skills, will be eclipsed by celestial choir, never ending, no distractions worship.

I am excited to give the wrapped packages to my family and friends. I'm happy that Otto and I are so blessed this year and that we are able to give gifts, feed people and do it all to celebrate Jesus. We are blessed this year as well, to be in a new church home, a place with far less flash and fancy than the one we previously attended but with far better focus, with true faith and a feeling of family.

Christmas is a huge celebration in our home and family. We have great traditions that started with my children and new ones that they are starting with their children. It's bright, lively, noisy and full of love but it palls in comparison to what we will see when we celebrate in the mansion Jesus has prepared for us. (John 14:2)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows