Peace Not Worries

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day had enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34

 
This morning I read a message that talked about this verse from God’s perspective. There was an acknowledgement of the fact that while this is His command to us He knows it’s a bit beyond our abilities. That made my day!

 During the school year I work in a classroom for children with special needs. Every single day we offer them challenges that, even as we’re planning them, we’re fairly sure they won’t be able to quite get it, at least not right away. It’s an invitation to try, to grow. No one is going to yell at them or discipline them if they conquer it on the first or thirtieth try. What we do is try another approach. We adjust our presentation to aid their success.

Here in this verse, God gives a directive. Do. Not. Worry. It’s so important to Him that we have faith and trust in Him, in His will. Here, He is telling us not to worry. There are several places in Scripture that prop up the command, places where God promises His help and provision. If we truly, through and through believed and had faith that God’s will is best we wouldn’t worry.

The rub comes in when we start to think about the future, as the verse indicates. The “what ifs” of life. I think it is true and precious that God knows that no matter how many times or ways He tells us we don’t have to worry, we shouldn’t worry, we still worry. Does He get angry with us? No! He doesn’t fine-tune us or our circumstances either. He loves us. He answers our worry with peace that passes understanding and with love that neither ends nor fails. (Philippians 4:7, 1 Corinthians 13:8, Hebrews 13:5) God is for us and therefore nothing should dare to come against. True we may lose a battle or two but ultimate victory is God’s and by His grace, ours.

Don’t get me wrong, I worry and frankly, I worry about ridiculous things that really don’t matter or things so enormous I know I can’t do anything about them. That is not what God wants for me or any of us but I know that He understands and loves me through that worry into the next season of confidence. Why? Because God is good and His mercy endures forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows