Controlling the Head



“Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” Matthew 6:27

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

 The other day I was reading a devotional message that began with words that were credited as coming from God to us. It read, “Let me control your mind.” While the point of the message was great and exactly what I needed to hear it took a backseat for a second to an entirely different image. Eventually I realized I’d been giving a sweet reminder that God is in control.
My days are spent in a public elementary school where I work with children with special needs. We eat lunch at the same time as the kindergarten children. One little girl has become a favorite of mine. She has graciously forgiven one of my students on more than one occasion as, in his haste, he’s come just short of knocking her over. When I apologize on his behalf, she responds, “That’s alright” with just a hint of a lisp and a sweet forgiving smile. Precious!

This little angel is also a beautiful child. She’s isn’t cute because she’s five. She isn’t a child who will grow into her face and be pretty.  She is a gorgeous little girl whose face shows the promise of a gorgeous big girl. And, I’m told, she has quite a bit of, hm, what’s the tactful word…..personality. I see her in snapshot moments a few times a week and I think she’s great.

The other day she came by me wearing her hair in two little buns, one on each side of her head. The buns were adorned with pretty bows. She looked adorable and I said so to her teacher. The teacher then told me that when our little sweetie wears her hair that way, the teacher steers her around the room, very gently I’m sure, by her hairstyle. That morning the little princess arrived in the classroom and gave her teacher a directive.
“You’re not controlling my head today.” She said.

That’s hilarious, isn’t it? (Maybe that’s the “personality” I keep hearing about. Love it!)  Now think about it in terms of “Let me control your mind.” Too often I say to my Father in heaven, “You’re not controlling my head [mind] today.” The sad part is I do it without thinking about it.
The point of the devotional message was that we let worries and distractions steal our peace and that if we let God, our loving, protective Father, control our thoughts, keeping them focused on Him, we will experience more joy, more calm moments. We accomplish nothing by worrying. More to the point, we accomplish headaches and ulcers. I’d rather have peace and joy.

My little friend does not need her teacher to “control” her head but she does need her to lead and guide her through the day.
I need God to lead and guide me through the day and the best way I can see that happen is by giving my thoughts, concerns and decisions to Him. Letting God control my mind is a great idea and now every time I see my little buddy I will remember that I should do just that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight