Bloom


 

What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord…. Philippians 3:8a*

 
Bloom where you’re planted. Have you seen that before? I have, so many times. It brings up a lot for me. First of all it’s usually on a magnet, card or poster with a picture of lovely flowers. There’s my first uh-oh, considering that both of my thumbs are black. My home and yard are the places plants go to die.

Then there is the timing. I usually see that precious saying at a point in time when the “where” is not comfy.  It’s usually a season of “I’d rather be anywhere but here.” There it is “bloom where you’re planted.” Here? Really? Ugh!
I saw it this morning and my reaction was more to the “I’m not a gardener” reaction. (Although in the spirit of full disclosure, there are some “garden” spots in my life that I would like to vacate, so it fits that angle too.) Still it made me smile, proof that God can give you joy and even amusement no matter where you are.

So I smiled but then I thought, “sure but what if I’m planted in lousy dirt.”  That’s when it hit me.  I am awful (underline that word, put it in italics, bold print and neon lights) with plants. Lousy dirt? I couldn’t tell you lousy dirt from excellent dirt. Nor do I know a thing about when to plant, where to plant, how to water, etc. Why? I am not a gardener.

Read the little saying again, “Bloom where you’re planted.” Planted, I asked myself, by whom? Oh right, the Master Gardener. Think about that for a second. It isn’t the responsibility of the plant to make the soil is right, find itself a water source or ensure that the sun exposure is good. The plant simply has to grow, relying solely on the gardener to do his/her part. Yay! I can bloom where I’m planted if I leave it up to the Gardener.
This epiphany is also an answer to prayer. I complain and I hate it. I’m not a chronic all day Eeyore complainer but I do it and it feels like too much. This perspective of a plant helps me see that I am in the absolute right place, no matter how it feels, as long as I am in my Father’s will. In that perfect position He will cause me to grow, prosper and thrive.  God in His mercy, love and humor, has turned a saying that has always made me cringe into a lesson. In all things He is in control. Amen

*I used a verse from Philippians to start this message but it was hard to choose just one. The book of Philippians has so much to say that fits this train of thought.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows