Gramisms

But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Matthew 8:12





Does that verse make you smile? I hope you’re saying no. It does however make me smile and I can think of several more people who might smile when they hear it. That group would include my sisters and my cousins. You see, our Gram quoted it a lot. We had a few drama mamas in our family and their actions often inspired my Gram to quote Jesus, as brought to us by Matthew. I heard it used most often in reference to my sister Teresa. Let the tiniest thing happen and she would dissolve into total meltdown. There were often discussions of how to keep information from Teresa so that we could avoid the drama. Gram would then say, “No don’t tell her. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” She would say it in this phony, exaggerated voice that gave just a hint of her Irish roots. It was hysterical. I realize now that the verse is not the least bit amusing but the memory of Gram, salt of the earth, not the least bit dramatic, Gram intoning it is still pretty funny.

Earlier today I was listening to the Bible on CD while I did some baking. I heard that verse from Matthew and as it usually does it made me smile. I realized how odd it is that it does but thinking of Gram reminded me that I have a huge responsibility.

My husband Otto and I have nine grandchildren, eight of whom we see regularly. I am as big a factor for most of my grandchildren as my Gram was for me. I’ve known the verse above and several others  for as long as I can remember because Gram quoted or paraphrased them for as long as I had her here with me. The gnashing of teeth is my favorite but there was also the, “you can’t put old heads on young shoulders”, that she got from the verse about new wine and old wineskins.

Every summer I was allowed to spend a lot of time with my Gram. On Sunday we went to church, of course, but we also went every weekday at noon. Most Saturdays we went to confession. Gram was a church girl and beyond that she was a God girl. I still quote and believe many things that she said some of which, are not necessarily true. She had quite a way with a turn of phrase my Gram and she had huge, deep, abiding faith which, thank God, she shared with all of her grandchildren.

I wonder if years from now one of my grands will hold onto odd little sayings because they came from me. I hope so because it means they will carry me in their hearts. More importantly I hope they will remember certain passages of Scripture and think of me. I hope that they will remain faithful and will remember the things they heard me say about Jesus when they were little.

My Gram left me with a lot of silly ideas but her example, the simple way she incorporated her faith into her life is a model I want to continue for my grands. There is great truth in the lyric “be careful little mouth what you say.” The song says that God is watching and listening. That's true, but so are other very impressionable people and I want to leave the right impression.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight