Blind Guides

He replied, “Whatever he is sinner or not, I don’t know. One thing I do know, I was blind but now I see!” John 9:25

A friend of mine shared some distressing news with me the other day. He and I listen to a lot of the same music, mostly what is called “Christian” music. He tends to know a lot more about the personalities involved than I do. The other day while he was visiting I had music playing. When he noticed that I had a couple of songs from the same group he asked me how I felt about the fact that “Christian” radio stations had pulled the group’s music.

I didn’t know that they had. He then explained to me that the leader of the group had confessed to living in sin, big, ugly, blatant sin, for quite awhile. Having grown tired of the sinful lifestyle, wanting help I suppose, to get out of the hole he’d dug for himself he came clean with his brothers and sisters in Christ. He has stepped down from his band for the time being. To that I say, good for him! He could have continued as he was and not confessed to anyone but those closely related to the events. He chose to be honest, to commit to change in a big way and for that some of his brothers and sisters in Christ have abandoned him.

Here is my question, is his message less sound? The songs my friend noticed the other day are based on Scripture, the light of the world, give glory to God, etc. Some would say “oh sure he knew the words but not the meaning.” They could be right. Others might say, “He was living it to the best of his ability. We all sin.” I say, the only thing we know for sure, is that he has recognized the extent of his sin, confessed and is apparently taking steps to repent.

The question remains, does the delivery change the message? My own pastor has confessed to a very similar sin. He has repented and is the first person to tell you that no one is perfect, God loves us anyway and that once we are truly aware of how far we’ve strayed we better get our little behinds back in line. He is an excellent preacher and teacher. He always has been, even during the time of his greatest sin. Does the heart of the person delivering the message change that message?

I think the answer is no. No one can add to or take away from God’s Word. To quote a cliché
I hate but one that does actually apply here, it [the Word of God] is what it is. In fact, knowing what that young man is going through and how he’s dealing with it, says to me that he knows the only person any of us can trust, including ourselves, is God. It says, believe what I’m singing to you because look at me, I’m counting on it.

To my way of thinking, that young man brings great glory to God by confessing, repenting and moving on. We all sin. Those people who think they are making some statement by refusing to play songs that uplift and encourage, songs that point us in the direction of the true Light are right, they are making a statement. Unfortunately that statement says, “God may forgive you but His people won’t.” The saddest part to me is how true that is. I can’t say it enough, We. All. Sin. And we all hope for forgiveness, from God, certainly and thankfully that is always available. We hope for forgiveness from our brothers and sisters in Christ and that doesn’t always come.

To stand in a limelight is to invite scrutiny. When we know we have a big problem we need to step back, repent and then begin again. I fear that our Christian community will not accept that young man back if he chooses to resume his career in music. That would be a huge sin. We all need to remember we are asked to forgive in the same way in which we are forgiven.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight