Look at My Brother

When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken to the Lord. Exodus 34:29
….he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ in accordance with his pleasure and will--- Ephesians 1:5


The pictures of Prince William’s wedding are all over the place, on the internet, on magazines, everywhere you look. Certainly I have seen picture after picture of Will and Kate but I have seen many of the guests as well. One such photo grabbed my attention due to the disparity of facial expressions on the subjects. It is of a celebrity couple. He is a prominent figure in one area and she in another. Together they make a lovely example of the famous and the beautiful, as both of them have both those attributes.

My first thought was that of course those are the kind of people invited to the wedding. Then I remembered that an acquaintance of my husband’s had shared a story with us of her son meeting Will a few years ago. They’d hit it off and remained in contact for a bit, so maybe there were some ordinary people at the wedding. Further I realized that the man of the celeb couple is Will’s very good friend, if the magazines are to be believed. The picture certainly supports that idea. The hubby is grinning ear to ear in the picture. His expression seems to say, “Way to go Will!” The wife, not so much, with the happy face.

This woman’s face says, “Oh ho-hum, another star studded event. Poor me, having to deal with all of this. I couldn’t be more bored or for that mattered irritated.” What? Here she is entering the wedding of the century and she looks like she’s being led in, through a nasty smelling corridor, to receive oral surgery.

Here they are, inches from royalty, he looks as you would expect a guy happy for his buddy would look and she looks like she is the important one. I wondered for a minute what my face would look like if I were that close to royalty. Stunned? Terrified? Then it hit me. I live that close to royalty. Jesus Christ is my brother, by the sacrifice of his life that allows me to be adopted by our Father in heaven. Oh wait, then not close to royalty but a part of it. I am royalty. I am the daughter of a King. So how does my face look?

When I enter church on Sunday, do I look like a happy child arriving to see Daddy? When I walk into my job, a grocery store or social event, do I look like a person secure in her place in the world? Am I grinning ear to ear at my brother’s accomplishments? Probably not often enough and for that, shame on me!

Attitude not latitude is what tells people how close we live to Jesus. If I believe, truly, that his death and resurrection bought my salvation and adoption I should float through the ordinary days, rejoice in the triumphant ones and bear the difficult ones with the grace of one who knows the final outcome.

I’m drawn to the look on the celeb husband because it says, “Look at my buddy! He’s a prince getting his princess.” I want to wear an expression on my face that says, “Look at my brother! He is the Prince of Peace.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight