One Question, Two Ways

“Now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks, ‘Where are you going?’ ”
John 16:5


The Bible is a book that needs to be read very carefully and prayerfully. We know it is the absolute truth but sometimes we get confused. After all, here is Jesus saying that his disciples have not asked him where he’s going. This is in chapter 16. To get to chapter 16 we should already have read chapter 13, where in verse 36 Peter asks that exact question. Simon Peter asked him, “Lord where are you going?” Does that make this verse a contradiction? No, it does not.

The conversation in chapter 13 revolves around the disciples concern for themselves. Where are you going? Can I go with you? It continues in chapter 14 when Thomas says they don’t know the way to where Jesus is going, indicating that they want to stay with him, go wherever he is going. In that exchange the disciples are concerned for themselves. They aren’t necessarily worried about Jesus but they are worried about what they’re going to do without him. I can understand that. They’ve left everything behind to follow him and now he’s saying the train stops here, you can’t go any further.

In chapter 16 the focus is not on the disciples, but on Jesus. He says that they haven’t asked where he is going because they haven’t asked about his future, his well being. They’ve been blinded by selfishness. The attitude in chapter 13 is what’s in it for me. In chapter 16 Jesus is looking for a more sincere concern for the ministry. He’s trying to open their eyes to the fact that they will have to carry on the work without him

Looking at this question, seeing the two different focuses I became aware of how many times I am more concerned about what impact God’s will is going to have on my day to day life, than I am about the Kingdom. Short term vision is not new to our generation. Peter, Thomas and the rest of the crew were guilty of it too. It is human sight, as opposed to spiritual sight. Jesus wanted his closest friends to understand that the Holy Spirit was coming and was going to enable them to continue healing, saving and blessing.

When we choose to accept the gift of salvation and invite the Spirit of God to dwell within us we become a part of that ministry. Every person we see presents us with an opportunity to show the Jesus in us, to continue his work.

How are you asking the question? Is it, where are you going and can I come because I’m worried about my life? Or is it, where are you going because I need to continue to follow you, seek you and be a part of your work?

Far too often my prayers are selfish. Help, heal, advise, I ask. I hope as I grow along my prayers will become more and more, send me, use me, let me help and bless. In the meantime, as I grow, I will check my motives as I pray. It needs to be all about Him and not about me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight