Bruised

A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out.
In faithfulness he will bring forth justice. Isaiah 42:3


I have no idea what is happening in your life right now but this morning I am in deep pain. At the moment I am heartbroken about something over which I have no control. There are those who love to tell me about my choices in this matter but I assure you, there are no good choices. There is one obvious one and that leaves me heartbroken and at the mercy of another person’s decisions. Just a few minutes ago I did what we are instructed to do. I did what I know to the best option in any situation. I cried out to Jesus and he answered with the verse above.

The amazing thing to me is that this is a verse with which I have at best, a passing familiarity. It is not a go to verse for me. In fact it came to me as “What is that thing about the broken reed? No, not broken….” And I knew that I had to find it. Beyond that I knew that it was not just for me. Someone, somewhere, someday, will read this and find comfort. Of that I am absolutely certain.

This bruised reed feels pretty darn close to the breaking point, but now I have a promise that that will not happen. God doesn’t waste words. He doesn’t break promises. He is always faithful. Through Isaiah He tells us that He will not break us. He may allow us to get to the breaking point but “in faithfulness” He will rescue us.

It is my strong hope that this message reaches someone who needs it as desperately as I do. Today as I head to work, determined to live in a way that brings glory to my Father I need to focus on His promise not my problem.

And the peace of God which transcends understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

God Only Knows