For to us a child is born, to us a son is given.
And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father,
Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of his government and peace
there will be no end. Isaiah 9:6-7


On Sunday I visited a different church than the one we attend, to see my granddaughters in their Christmas play. First let me say, they were the cutest three up there! Okay, really, the whole group was adorable, including the one-in-every-crowd, who waved to the audience the entire time. Not my main point!

The pastor spoke on Isaiah 9:6, which is one of my favorite verses. It is so strong. A child is born who will be called, “Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” A child who will be mighty and powerful but who will first be stalked and later persecuted. Even in Isaiah’s times those words were strong but as we sit today, knowing the whole story of this “child” it is even more incredible.
At one point during his message the pastor asked, “When was the last time you stood in awe of Jesus?” My responding thought was “last night during my prayers.” I felt immediately grateful. To be in awe of Jesus is a wonderful feeling. Those are the moments when I fully realize my faith, how deep it goes and on whom it rests.

Again, let me mention that we were not in our own church. This was the church attached to our granddaughters pre-school. We weren’t the only non-members there. In fact, by the confusion and general discomfort of many of the people in the building, I could tell that several were not church goers at all. So, the thought that quickly followed my own gratitude was sadness.

It is unfathomable to me that awe of Jesus would be a foreign concept. As I stand in this season of baby Jesus, fall on your knees, let earth receive her King, it is very sad to me that right near me, sitting in church are people who have never known the breathtaking awe of the presence of God.

This is the Christmas season. It is a season where most minds and some hearts are turned toward giving. My heart and mind are pretty set on giving. I love giving gifts. Sitting in that church listening to the pastor I wished that I knew some way to point people in the direction of THE gift, Jesus. I have made or purchased some really nice gifts for those near and dear to me, nothing expensive but all of them thoughtful or more to the point thought-filled. What I can’t do is put a bow on the Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace, Mighty God but I can pray that something, somewhere, sometime, shines through me to draw attention to Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Really god, where are you?

My Offering

Selective Sight